In my usual great ideas at the last minute, a week before the little ones first birthday I decided that I just had to make him some birthday bunting, thinking, “oh, it’s only a bit of bunting it won’t take too long!” Which it wouldn’t but I was planning on stitching felt letters on, it had been awhile since I’d embroidered and it took a couple of evenings before I’d got the speed up and really got going, creating a moment of panic when I wondered if it would get finished!
And yes, I only managed to sew in the evenings once he was in bed, I’ve tried to craft in the day, but there’s so much to do during nap time and I never get very far when he’s awake before he wants to see what I’m doing and join in.
So this is what I did, a trip to the lovely ladies at The Sewing Shop in Lichfield on Monday to purchase some boy friendly fabric, (my fabric stash tends to be more girly, pinks, polka dots florals, can’t think why!) I picked up some bicycles, sharks, trains and letters to add to the leftover bit of galaxy fabric I did have.
That evening I then set about cutting everything out. Starting with creating a simple rectangular pattern piece for the flags. I worked out I had 17 letters and would need 2 spaces, plus an extra space on the end too, to then make 20 as that made it easier to just cut out 4 flags in each fabric, and I much prefer things to be even!
I also cut out the letters, using the collection of felt that I have, as it wouldn’t fray and didn’t need backing like using woven cottons would have. I made templates for each letter by freehand drawing them all and making them the same height by eye. I could have chosen a font on the computer and printed them out to size but I’m not sure it would have been any quicker as I could pretty much guarantee that I wouldn’t be happy with the size first go.
Once I had the letters it was simple enough to cut them out in the felt and match them up with the flags in order, that’s where I left it night one.
The following evenings were then spend hand stitching the letters on with embroidery thread. I used different stitches just to make it a little bit more interesting for me. Though blanket stitch is my absolute favourite, I find it soothing somehow.
In true last minute style, Monday evening was when I got round to backing all the flags with plain white fabric and sewing them onto the bias binding. It could do with pressing still but I’ll get round to that eventually! And tada! Happy Birthday bunting that I can bring out year after year!
The birthday boy did actually notice it on Tuesday morning, or he noticed that something was different, it might have just been the new toy garage sat waiting for him, which he seems to enjoy!
Happy 1st Birthday Lovely!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin